Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Assorted cliches



"Why do we fall down, Master Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up again."

"One step at a time."

"Take care of the outside and the inside will follow."

"Speak out, don't keep quiet."

"Time heals all wounds, or wounds all heels."

"No man is an island."

"You can do this."

"When you can't run

I hate these. I really hate them. Nothing is more condescending than a platitude given glibly to a genuine problem or hurt, with the exception of when said platitude is right.

Someone I care about is hurting, and had the courage to say something. I did my best, but does it help? I think so. I think that anything can help when people really need you. People everywhere need help every day, myself included. The human is a social animal, we can't live on bread alone, and I'm spewing out trite sayings like a broken record. How do you help? How can anyone help with problems so deep they seem like a black hole you'll never get out of?

Not even Stephen Hawking is positive what happens at the center of a black hole, take comfort in that. Some physicists theorize it could lead to different worlds, different universes. Though a black hole's gravity swallows visible light, energy can escape the accretion disk in the form of x-rays and gamma rays. The same spectrum and base energy form as visible light - it just has to change first.

Cliche's and bad metaphors aside, people need you. They need each other. Sometimes all it takes is one person listening to another because they care. One small gesture of trust can be enough to make a difference. When we're in pain, we don't just hide it. Things slip out of the cracks - all you have to do is pay attention to see it.

Something that stuck with me (I know I'm a cult nerd, get off of it) was the second-to-last episode of Firefly. It's an old saying in a new jacket but still. "If you can't run, you walk, and if you can't walk, you crawl, and if you can't crawl, well..."

"You find someone to carry you."

I know that you're brave. Orlando Jones would be proud of you.


If you read this, I know you can make it. Trust me, I was a salesman.

No comments:

Post a Comment