Saturday, February 19, 2011

The last word

What's with the last word game at shops and restaurants? I'm serious, this is real. Try it for yourself. It's like a Dane Cook sketch.

You wrap up your business, whether it be buying merchandise, eating a meal, or even just shooting the breeze. Things are pleasant, calm, and in no way hostile. Yet most service staff HAVE to have the last word. It goes something like this.

"Thanks for shopping/eating/talking to my face for a while. Have a nice day!"
"You too."
"Any time."
"Tell me if you have any sales/coupons/drink specials."
"Can do, take it easy."
"Thanks again."

It ends when the patron leaves and gives up. I've seriously had this go on for almost two minutes. It was excruciating.

Seriously, what's with this? Is it a contest of wills? Some weird, leftover dominance thing from our days as apes? And why do I always lose? If I'm a customer, the shopkeeper/waiter/monkey has the last word. If I'm working, the customer gets the last say. I don't understand this at all.

It's like bowing in Japanese culture. Whoever bows lower is the subordinate, so men who don't know each other will take turns bowing lower and lower until one decides that there's enough.

From now on, I'm going to have the last word in shops/restaurants/church. Resolution set, game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment